Is the first quarter of 2014 really over? The thought of it makes me feel as if time is slipping away, then I find myself in deep reflection and asking random questions. Have I made progress towards my goals? What have I accomplished? Have I nurtured my relationships? Do my loved ones know how much I love them – through my words AND actions? Is God pleased with my heart? Am I living my life the way I want to be remembered? What is MY legacy? My aunt’s passing has a lot to do with the way I feel right now. So I’ll spend a little time reflecting on the past (March), then move on and look forward to the future (April). I’m still here, there’s still time, and God isn’t done with me yet.
A Look Back: March 2014
- Spending lots of quality time with my immediate and extended family. My clan is a mixed bag – smart, resourceful, accomplished, boughie, ghetto, ratchet, loud, funny, and some are nutty as a fruitcake. Literally. And I claim ALL of it. Being in their presence is like looking in the mirror at my own reflection. I am ME because of them.
- Had a long conversation with my great aunt (my late grandmother’s sister) and honeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, that woman had stories that gave me LIFE! She was telling me about the two of them as children. She said my grandma was mean and “had mo’ mouth than a cow got azz!” See, that’s where I get it from. LOL! She said my grandma used to beat her up whenever she snitched, cuss out girls in the neighborhood, fight their brothers, talk back to teachers, and was always disobeying their parents (especially sneaking boys in the house). My grandma was a mess! LOL! I asked did she get beatings for being so bad. My aunt said “yep, but it ain’t do nuttin but make her meaner.” LOL! We talked for hours after the repast and spent most of the night together. I’m sooo glad I was able to spend that time with her. She needed to walk down memory lane and I was more than happy to listen. She’s 78 now and not doing well anymore, but thoughts of our conversation will always warm my heart.
- Ran the numbers for my quarterly net worth report, +$24k. Can’t complain.
- Realizing that I have great friends, old and new. If you’re reading this, thank you. Yes, YOU too. When facing difficult situations, people show you who they are. I’m blessed.
- This month has been a blur. I know there were more great things that happened in March, but I can’t remember. #oldladyproblems
- My favorite aunt (on my mom’s side) passed away at the tender age of 60. I know that seems young, but she was taken not a moment too soon. When she was diagnosed with a rare form of lupus, the doctor’s told her she had a maximum of 5 years to live. After that conversation, she lived for 34 more years. You never knew when she was in pain because she TRULY enjoyed life to the fullest. I’m crying as I type this because I miss her, but I smile because I know she would be smiling too. If she knew I was crying, she’d probably say “IF YOU DON’T KNOCK IT OFF! NOW WHEN IS
YOUR OUR NEXT VACATION?” :-)
- Snow in the spring. Boo! I’m over winter and so glad she’s gone.
- Had to cancel my spring vacation. Thankfully, I wasn’t charged for the hotel.
A Look Forward: April 2014
- My mom, aunt, and brother are visiting next week. My cousin and her clan are coming up too, but they’ll stay with other family in MD. By the time we link up with my uncle, we’ll be 10 deep. We have plans to hang out together in the city, should be a fun weekend. DC is covered with cherry blossoms right now and it’s so pretty in the spring.
- Other than the family visit, I plan to have a low key April. After the month I’ve just had, I need some time to regroup and slowly ease back into real life.
Similar Posts: January February